- Unlocking a Mann Co. Supply Crate containing the item,
- Using a Strangifier on an item,
- Purchasing the items from the Steam Community Market,
- Earning Botkiller weapons or Australium weapons from Mann Up mode,
- Trading with other players for them.
Strange weapons track kills or other various events (see Unique Rank Methods below for exceptions), and records them as an item attribute, allowing the count to be viewable by other players and the owner. Cosmetic items with the Strange quality track the number of points scored while wearing the item. Strange items are awarded new ranks as their counters increase, with the rank affixed to the beginning of the item's name. Each time a Strange item reaches a new rank, the event is announced to all players on the server with a message in the chat box. A notification pop-up will appear, accompanied by a sound, but only for the player the strange item belongs to. A Strange item can have a maxmimum of 4,294,967,295 on the counter.
Decorated weapons with the Strange quality will have a "Stat-Clock" placed on the weapon that increments in real-time.
Strange Parts (a type of tool that can track additional variables) can be added to many Strange quality items. A maximum of three parts can be added to a given item. They do not contribute toward rank progress for the item.
The Strange Count Transfer Tool allows points, both for the main counter and any applied parts, to be transferred between two Strange items of the same type.
Strange Filters can also be used to further limit the statistics that are tracked by the item to certain community-made maps.
The hexadecimal color code for Strange items is.
|20||160000||Mann Co. Select|
|Rank||Tickle Fights Won||Name|
|20||8500||Mann Co. Select|
|20||2550||Mann Co. Select|
|1||1||The Baseline Benefactor's|
|2||3||The Competent Contributor's|
|3||7||The Adequate Altruist's|
|4||12||The Satisfactory Santa's|
|5||20||The Sufficient Samaritan's|
|6||28||The Distinguished Donator's|
|7||37||The Dynamic Do-Gooder's|
|8||47||The Consumate Contributor's|
|9||57||The Baron of Bequeathment's|
|10||68||The Lord of Largesse's|
|11||79||The Chieftain of Charity's|
|12||91||The Generalissimo of Generosity's|
|13||104||The Bigshot Benefactor's|
|14||120||The Caesar of Pleasers'|
|15||138||The First-Class Philanthropist's|
|16||158||The Humanitarian Hotshot's|
|17||179||The Selfless Samaritan's|
|19||10000||Mann Co. Select|
|20||15000||Mannceaux Signature Collection|
|Rank||Duck XP Level||Name|
Unique Rank Methods
Certain Strange items do not level up via tracked kills, and instead level based on other criteria:
|Unique Strange Rank Methods|
|Secondary||Number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".|
|Mad Milk||Mutated Milk|
|Number of times ingested.|
|Bonk! Atomic Punch||Crit-a-Cola|
|Secondary||Number of banners deployed.|
|Secondary||Number of times eaten. Will only increase if used to heal damage.|
|Number of times eaten. Will increase if used to heal damage or not.|
|Melee||Number of enemies hit with critical hits, or "Tickle Fights Won".|
|Secondary||Wrangled Sentry kills.|
|Melee||Sentry Gun kills, whether Wrangled or not.|
(Melee kills are tracked as an automatically-added strange part.)
|PDA||Sentry Gun kills, whether Wrangled or not.|
(Health Dispensed and Allies Teleported are also tracked as automatically-added strange parts.)
|Secondary||ÜberCharges on other players.|
(Kill assists are tracked as an automatically-added strange part but do not influence rank.)
(The Vaccinator's ÜberCharge number is divided by four, due to it having four ÜberCharges and only after a multiple of four ÜberCharges are used in a single life does it count as an ÜberCharge. (Essentially four Vaccinator ÜberCharges are equal to one Stock strange ÜberCharge.)
|Number of Kill assists.|
|Secondary||Number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".|
|Jarate||Self-Aware Beauty Mark|
|Number of Spies shocked by backstab attempts, or "Spies Shocked".|
|Building||Number of buildings destroyed.|
|Red-Tape Recorder||Snack Attack|
|PDA 2||Number of seconds Cloaked. Points are added to counter upon decloak.|
|Invis Watch||Cloak and Dagger|
|Number of feigned deaths.|
|Cosmetic||Points scored while wearing the item.|
|Kills in the Carnival of Carnage while wearing the item, or "Carnival Kills".|
(Carnival Underworld Kills and Carnival Games Won are also tracked as automatically-added strange parts.)
|Haunted Cosmetic items|
|Action item||Number of Power Up Canteens used in Mann vs. Machine.|
|Battery Canteens||Kritz or Treat Canteen|
- Kills are counted together for classes that share the same Strange weapon or cosmetic.
- Killing a teammate while friendly fire is enabled will increase your kill total with a Strange weapon by one.
- It is not possible to reset a Strange item's point/kill counter without also resetting the counters for any Strange parts that may be applied to the item.
- Using a Name Tag will change the name of the Strange item, but the item will still retain its rank and counters. The current rank will be displayed under the name of the weapon in light grey text.
- The following actions do not increase the total kill count for Strange weapons:
- Killing yourself with a Strange weapon.
- Activating the Cloak of a Spy who is using the Dead Ringer.
- Killing an enemy (via projectile reflections or environmental damage) with the compression blast.
- Killing bots, whether it be player bots, or Mann vs. Machine robots (there is a Strange Part for this however).
- Trading, selling a Strange item on the Steam Community Market, or using Gift Wrap on a Strange item will cause its counter to reset to zero and its prefix to reset to Strange. Using Gift Wrap on a Strange item will present the player a warning to this effect.
- The item will still track kills as normal after these actions.
- Taunts use generic rank names as opposed to cosmetic rank names.
- Points scored in Strange cosmetics will only increase if there's at least two human players in the server.
Strange Items by Class
- List of Scout Strange quality items
- List of Soldier Strange quality items
- List of Pyro Strange quality items
- List of Demoman Strange quality items
- List of Heavy Strange quality items
- List of Engineer Strange quality items
- List of Medic Strange quality items
- List of Sniper Strange quality items
- List of Spy Strange quality items
- List of All classes Strange quality items
- Counters may not track every kill.
- Counters do not update in-game when you inspect another player's Strange weapon on the Deathcam.
- The Holiday Punch levels up by successfully punching an enemy with a critical hit, regardless of whether laughter was caused.
- The Chargin' Targe and Splendid Screen count any type of kill the Demoman gets with his primary and melee weapons when he has the shield equipped, along with shield bash kills.
- Select items, such as consumables (Crit-a-Cola, Sandvich, etc.) and the banners (Concheror, Buff Banner, etc.) can be leveled when playing on training.
- E-mail from Eric Smith confirming the maximum amount.