We're not currently in a full moon.
The next full moon is from August 21, 2021 at 06:02:25 PM through to August 23, 2021 at 06:02:23 PM (UTC)
The Full Moon restriction was introduced with the 2011 Very Scary Halloween Special. All previous items that were restricted to Halloween were updated to be equipable during both Halloween events and full moons. These items are available for use during full moons according to a formula that approximates the lunar calendar. During this period, the main menu background will become a full-color image of Double Cross, the menu class portrait will sometimes wear their Halloween Costumes, the default Message of the day will state "Welcome and Enjoy the Full Moon!", and Strange weapons equipped with Strange Part: Full Moon Kills will count kills performed during this timespan.
Note: the dates provided in this article are computed by formulas internal to this wiki and so are not directly coupled to the game and are provided as estimates only.
Recent Full Moons
- July 23, 2021 at 05:19:13 AM through to July 25, 2021 at 05:19:11 AM
- June 23, 2021 at 04:36:01 PM through to June 25, 2021 at 04:35:59 PM
- May 25, 2021 at 03:52:49 AM through to May 27, 2021 at 03:52:47 AM
Upcoming Full Moons
- August 21, 2021 at 06:02:25 PM through to August 23, 2021 at 06:02:23 PM
- September 20, 2021 at 06:45:37 AM through to September 22, 2021 at 06:45:35 AM
- October 19, 2021 at 07:28:49 PM through to October 21, 2021 at 07:28:47 PM
- November 18, 2021 at 08:12:01 AM through to November 20, 2021 at 08:11:59 AM
- December 17, 2021 at 08:55:13 PM through to December 19, 2021 at 08:55:11 PM
- January 16, 2022 at 09:38:25 AM through to January 18, 2022 at 09:38:23 AM
If you would like to keep up on Full Moon event times, you can view this website to be ahead by one year.
When the Full Moon restriction was introduced with the 2011 Very Scary Halloween Special, the formula was set such that the Full Moon event occurred every 29.5 days starting Midday, October 12, 2011. The periods lasted for a full day before and after the time calculated, so the very first Full Moon event was one day either side of 12am (Midnight) on November 10, 2011. However, the actual synodic month is close to 44 minutes and 3 seconds longer than the 29.5 day approximation. The effect of this was that after about four years, the TF2 Full Moon schedule was about one and a half days ahead of the actual lunar phase -- by June 2, 2015, the game (and the Fmp calculations at that time) would close Full Moon events hours before the real Moon was actually full. However, by September 2015 and in subsequent months, the in-game Full Moon event was observed to be more centered on the real full moon time, indicating that the previous game schedule had been changed. The formulation computing the Full Moon dates for this page was changed in November 2015 to more closely track the observed Full Moon events, largely by changing the period to be closer to the actual average Lunar period. However, the present formula, still being a fixed constant period, does not account for the various oscillations seen in the Lunar period, so the present formula runs several hours ahead or behind the actual event for several months at a time.
All times on this page are in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- [Undocumented] Halloween-restricted items can now be worn during a Full Moon.
- Added a full moon background for the main menu.
- [Undocumented] Halloween-restricted items now have a pumpkin image in backpack view.
- Enabled Full Moon holiday for one week.
- [Undocumented] Full Moon timing was adjusted to more closely correspond to the real lunar calendar.