This item was originally awarded to the first 10,319 players who visited a hidden page on the Haunted Hallowe'en Special website. It could also be obtained by earning the Ghastly Gibus Grab Scarechievement by dominating a player with the item equipped; however, after October 26, 2012, this achievement now rewards the player with a Ghostly Gibus.
|Ghastly Gibus Grab|
Dominate a player wearing any achievement Gibus hat to earn your own Ghastly Gibus.
- When equipping the Ghastly Gibus from the loadout screen, the classes appear to have a second, upside-down Ghastly Gibus coming from their chest. This only affects the loadout screen and does not affect character appearance in matches. Affects all classes but the Sniper.
- The Ghastly Gibus' original description was "Embroidered initials say 'Z.M.'", a reference to Zepheniah Mann.
- The number of original Gibuses, 10,319, is a reference to the date they were given out, 10/31/09.
- Although there were 10,319 original Gibuses, the items do not include a number indicating the order in which they were acquired.
- If the Ghastly Gibus was worn on a server with Birthday Mode enabled during an officially recognized Team Fortress 2 birthday (either August 24 when the Team Fortress was released as a Quake total conversion, or December 22, when the game was released standalone), the Ghastly Gibus would appear as a "Birthday Package" temporarily transforming it to look like a green box with red ribbon (similar to the Secret Saxton). This effect was removed in the August 23, 2011 Patch along with Party Hats automatically being placed on players heads.
- On the menu screen, the image displayed for the Halloween 2014 game mode depicts a Scout wearing what appears to be a Ghastly Gibus.
- The Ghastly Gibus was once owned by Zepheniah Mann before he died and is wearing it in his ghost form.