Long story short, we guarantee you that nothing's going to scare you this year. There will be no ENORMOUS HAUNTED EYEBALL
to terrorize you around an island filled with tons of SECRET LOOT
, and a GIANT SKULL
! There will be approximately zero percent chance of you getting your trembling hands on a spooky costume FOR EVERY CLASS
! And we certainly wouldn't DRAMATIZE THE BACKSTORY
of this hypothetical scary update with a FEAR-CHOKED TERROR-COMIC
— TF2 Official Blog
The Third Annual Scream Fortress Very Scary Halloween Special was the Halloween event launched with the October 27, 2011 Patch, which included the new map Eyeaduct (a haunted version of Viaduct that introduced Monoculus), new items, costumes, and two new Eye-chievements. The event also introduced the first Halloween Costume item sets. Players that logged on during the event also received a Halloween Goodie Cauldron.
The event began on October 27, 2011, and concluded at November 6, 2011 at 12am (UTC).
On October 20, 2011 Patch, a new Halloween-themed background was added to the game and made the default main menu background. In the same update, Halloween event-only hats from previous Halloween events were made wearable again. The Horseless Headless Horsemann was re-added to Mann Manor, as well as Halloween pumpkin drops and the Thriller taunt for all classes.
On October 21, 2011, a blog post on the TF2 Official Website confirmed the 'Third Annual Scream Fortress Halloween' update to be released sometime during the following week.
On October 21, 2011, Valve developer Jon Lippincott posted to the HLDS mailing list, stating that new Halloween content will be released "in the near future". The e-mail confirmed the introduction of gift drops, which were a feature of previous Halloween events that dropped special items, such as the Haunted Halloween Gift, for players on the specific event map Mann Manor. Lippincott stated that gift drops will only occur on servers that have registered with Steam, and that abusing or attempting to cheat the drop system will result in the removal of the server's registration.
On October 27, 2011, a blog post on the TF2 Official Website announced the imminent arrival of the "Scream Fortress Very Scary Halloween Special" with a new comic titled "Bombinomicon", as well as some details of the halloween update such as "awesome costumes that you can pick up by collecting scattered gifts in the Halloween update". The comic hints that MONOCULUS will be the event's boss, similar to the Horseless Headless Horsemann.
On October 27, 2011 Patch, Halloween 2011 content was added including a "haunted" version of Viaduct known as Eyeaduct, two halloween achievements and a cosmetic halloween themed item set for each class.
On November 2, 2011 Patch, MONOCULUS was granted the ability to level up, increasing health and attack speed each time he is killed.
On November 7 at 12am UTC, the event and sale concluded and the Haunted Halloween Gift no longer dropped.
||Eerie Orbiting Fire
||Dive Into a Good Book|
Get to Loot Island and claim your reward!
October 20, 2011 Patch #3
- [Undocumented] Added new Halloween Special background.
October 27, 2011 Patch
- Halloween 2011 Event
- Viaduct has been haunted and is now... Eyeaduct!
- One full multi-piece costume set has been added for each class
- Random gifts containing costume pieces drop in Eyeaduct on registered servers
- 2 new Halloween 2011 achievements
- Any unusual hats uncrated during the event will be Halloween-themed
- New Halloween-themed items are available in the Mann Co. store, but only for a limited time!
- [Undocumented] All Ghastly Gibuses have been upgraded to Ghastlier Gibuses.
- [Undocumented] All Ghastlier Gibuses have been upgraded to the new Ghastlierest Gibuses.
November 2, 2011 Patch
- Added a taunt for the Tin Soldier set
- MONOCULUS! HAS GROWN ANGRY
November 7, 2011 Patch
- Ended the Halloween sale/event
Very Scary Halloween Special Update page
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2011
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2011 (widescreen)
Promotional image used in the Update on the Halloween Update Blog Post
Steam popup advertising the Very Scary Halloween Special
- ↑ "Update on the Halloween Update", TF2 Team, TF2 Official Website, October 21, 2011. Accessed October 22, 2011.
- ↑ [hlds] Halloween 2011 by Jon Lippincott, [email protected], October 21, 2011, 19:33:14 PDT. Accessed October 21, 2011.
- ↑ "Enter… MONOCULUS!", TF2 Team, TF2 Official Website, October 27, 2011. Accessed November 7, 2011.
- ↑ "Team Fortress 2 Update Released", Valve, October 28, 2011. Accessed November 7, 2011.
- ↑ MONOCULUS receives a faster firing rate and higher HP each time he respawns. This is indicated by levels.