Carnival of Carnage
|Carnival of Carnage|
|Map type||Special Delivery|
|File name:|| |
|Release date:||October 29, 2014|
|Last updated:||October 10, 2019|
|Hazards:|| Pumpkin bombs,|
The Necro Smasher
|Health Kits:||×2 • ×4 • ×3|
|Ammo Boxes:||×2 • ×2 • ×2|
Similar in play to Doomsday, the objective is to carry a briefcase full of tickets to The World's Largest Strongmann Machine on the opposite side of the map and insert it into the spectral lock at the top, all while Merasmus makes snarky commentary — Merasmus is owner and host to this Evil Carnival, but is underwater to the Japanese Mafia (see Blood Money comic).
Similar to all past Halloween maps, there are pumpkin bombs and spells spawning on various locations on the map, although the spells appear as glowing crystal balls, with the respective color scheme of the normal and rare spells located on Helltower. Soul Gargoyles also appear on this map.
At the beginning of the round, Merasmus requests that player collect the tickets for entry to The World's Largest Strongmann Machine while simultaneously working to kill the other team in an attempt to appease the bloody desires of Bonzo, the evil Sumerian circus god. If a player plays the next round, Merasmus makes more comments at the player saying that they are stupid for falling for the trap, but he "promises" that he won't do it again.
|“Sun Tzu's got nothing on us!”
This map's Community strategy page is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help the Team Fortress Wiki Community Strategy Project by expanding it.
Notes: None added
During the initial battle for the briefcase of tickets, Merasmus may summon all players to The World's Largest Strongmann Machine and put one of three temporary Curses on all players.
- Underwater: All players swim about the entire map in a pool of Jarate, without the drowning hazard. Players can swim anywhere including all the way up to the top of the skybox. All weapon rules in water still apply (watch out for Pyrosharks).
- Balloon Heads: All players' heads are inflated, giving the players the ability to jump higher and float slowly down, and ironically gives players a deeper voice.
- No Guns: All players are limited to melee weapons and have the rare Shrinking Spell applied to them, without the infinite jump bonus. All projectiles and Sentry ammo are removed while the players are being teleported.
Once either team has placed the tickets at the top of the machine, both teams are pulled into aggressive bumper car battles. The bumper cars are controlled with the directional and jump keys, with the option to activate a speed boost using alternate fire. Any player hit by another car receive damage and are knocked back, with both being affected by the speed of the attacking car. The more damage a car has, the farther it can be knocked back. If a player is knocked off the map, they become a ghost. Ghosts are capable of flight via the jump key, and can be turned back into bumper cars if they fly back to the arena and touch another player on their team. If a Ghost touches the opposing team's bumper car, the ghost will produce a sound and fly upwards, as if knocked back.
The bumper cars can also pick up one of four spells in crystal balls. These spells are:
- Uber Heal: Removes 50% of damage taken and leaves the player invulnerable for a few seconds. The mercenary will say "barpo kabalto" while performing the spell.
- Boxing Rocket: Fires a projectile boxing glove, which on a hit launches enemy players and damages them. The mercenary say "deus invictus" when casting the spell.
- B.A.S.E. Jump: Launches the player up into the air and then lets them float down slowly on a parachute. Pressing the jump button stows the parachute and ends the spell early; the parachute cannot be reactivated in the same way. The spell can also launch nearby enemies when activated. The mercenary say "amplus tripudio" when casting the spell.
- Bombinomicon Head: The Bombinomicon appears and gives the player a bomb head which will explode and damage the player after a period of time as it does on Ghost Fort. If the player can ram another player before it explodes, the explosion will affect the person being hit instead, usually knocking them back a huge distance as well.
Once in a Bumper Car Arena, the teams are pitted against each other in one of three possible randomly chosen competitions.
In "Falling Platforms", the last team with a player remaining on an increasingly smaller arena of intermittently falling platforms wins. If both teams have at least one player remaining on the last platform, or the center platform, the Horseless Headless Horsemann is summoned to knock players off of said platform until one team is left standing. If the Horseless Headless Horsemann is defeated before one team is left standing, another one is summoned again and again until the objective is achieved. There are no obtainable spells in this minigame.
Bumper Car Soccer
In "Bumper Car Soccer", both teams try to ram a giant beach ball into their opponents' toothy goal. The first team to score three goals wins. Alternatively, a team can win by knocking the other team out of the arena. When one team is in match point, Merasmus announces to the players that he is bored and asks the leading team to hurry up and finish, although there is no time limit after he asks. If any player drives into a goal's up-chuck after a goal is scored into the scored goal, the player is pushed back in the opposite direction. Spells are obtainable in this minigame (see above for a listing of spells). If neither team has scored for a while, the game then goes into sudden death, where the first team to score a goal wins.
In "Duck Collectors", a large number of ducks intermittently spawn on a large figure 8-esque race track. The first team to collect 200 ducks wins. Alternatively, a team can win by knocking the other team off of the track. If damage is dealt to opposing players' bumper cars, golden "bonus" ducks will fly out of the rammed car and are valued as 2 ducks per golden duck. Spells are obtainable in this minigame.
If, instead of completing the objective of the minigame, one team instead simply knocks the other team off of the track, Merasmus will comment about the dishonorable win and what he thinks about it.
- Merasmus has 22 unused voice lines related to killing and missing with the Necro Smasher. These lines were later repurposed for Slasher.
- Merasmus' mouth in the misfortune teller machine is set up to move with his speaking, but it's currently disabled.
- Both Merasmus' head and the misfortune teller machine have an unused Deactivated State.
- The bell on top of the Strongmann game has different unused animations designed for the different heights of the bell named after the signs along the side of the machine, implying that the game was intended to be "playable" at some stages of the development.
- There's an early iteration for the bumper cars found on the game files, only their textures remained, while their original models are not found on the files. Three textures are available, one of them using as a "base" texture, while the other two are colored in blue and red.
- The bumper car minigames utilize a similar mechanic to that of the Super Smash Bros. series. Instead of health points that result in death once depleted, players have a damage percentage that rises upon taking damage, with higher percentages resulting in more knockback, and with the only way to die being to get knocked off the stage.
- The "Shoot The Idiot" and "Raccoon Rampage" shooting gallery minigames both re-use art from the Doom-Mates comic, which was used to set up the 2012 Scream Fortress event. "Shoot The Idiot" uses the image of the RED Soldier from pages 5-7, and "Raccoon Rampage" uses an image of one of the running raccoons from the aforementioned pages. The "Raccoon Rampage" sign features Lieutenant Bites and another raccoon, as seen on the comic's cover. Neither game is actually playable and only serve as decoration.
- Behind the wall underneath the platform extending off of the Misfortune Teller machine, there are what appears to be a large button, a coin slot, and a ticket Dispenser attached to an unused part of the full Misfortune Teller machine model.
- The posters on this map reflect notorious sideshow attractions once commonly presented at circuses and carnivals; evolutionary “missing-links” (pitiful child-man), human animals (human crab), primates (alive!), bearded ladies (but, too often just a man in a dress or a woman with a fake beard), human cannonball (although the attraction was usually to see a man get loaded into a cannon, not get drunk (loaded) while in a cannon).
- During the bumper cars soccer mini game, after one team scores the winning goal, it is still possible to hit the ball into the opposite goal causing Merasmus to announce the formerly losing team's victory. This does not give the losing team a win for the round, however.
- During the "falling platforms" minigame, players can get stuck to the bounds of the arena. They cannot fall, and if they're the last one alive, other players will respawn above the pit. The only way to fix this glitch is if the player disconnects, or upon round end.
- Additionally; if a player uses the Taunt Menu function (Default bind: ) before falling off of a track, the Menu will open once the player turns into a ghost. This allows the player to do taunts in ghost form (i.e. Rancho Relaxo or Square Dance).
- If one of Merasmus' curses is cast as the round goes to the bumper cars portion, players will have the spell cast on them, therefore teleporting them to the Strongmann. The round will be unable to continue, as all players will be in the Doomsday portion of the map.
- This can be fixed in community servers by scrambling the teams.
- The bumper cars have a tendency to flip upside down (especially if the underwater spell continues functioning during the bumper cars mini-game) causing the playermodel to assume a reference pose.
- It's not possible to use the Disguise Kit by selecting it on the weapon category when under the effect of Merasmus's melee-only curse, however, it's possible by pressing the Last Disguise button (Default bind:
- The same thing can be done on any of the bumper car games.
- This map often crashes Mac users.
"The Inexplicable Bearded Pyro" poster, featuring Pyro
"The Pitiful Child-Man" poster, featuring Scout
The "Human Crab" poster, featuring Spy
The "See A Man Get Loaded In A Cannon" poster, featuring Demoman
RED team Bumper Car
BLU team Bumper Car
The Horseless Headless Horsemann as he appears in the Bumper Car minigames